This is a specialized program which subdiscipline of transportation engineering that addresses the planning, design, and operation of streets and highways, their networks, adjacent land uses, and interaction with other modes of transportation and their terminals.
- Introduction to Traffic Engineering
- Road User and Vehicle Characteristics
- Roadways and Their Geometric Characteristics
- Traffic Stream Characteristics
- Introduction to Traffic Control Devices
- Intelligent Transportation Systems and Statistical Applications in Traffic Engineering
- Volume Studies and Characteristics
- Speed, Travel Time, and Delay Studies
- Accidents: Studies, Statistics, and Programs
- Parking: Studies, Characteristics, Facilities, and Programs
- Capacity and Level of Service Analysis Highway Systems for Freeways and Multilane Highway
- Weaving, Merging, and Diverging Movements on Freeways and Multilane Highways
- Two-Lane, Two-way Rural Highways
- Signing and Marking for Freeways and Rural Highways
- Basic Principles of Intersection Signalization
- Fundamentals of Signal Timing and Design
- Elements of Intersection Design amid Layout
- Actuated Signal Control and Detection
- Analysis of Signalized Intersections and Applications of Signalized Intersection Analysis
- Analysis of Unsignalized Intersections
- Signal Coordination for Arterials and Networks
- Analysis of Arterial Performance and Arterial Planning & Design
- Traffic Planning and Operations for Urban Street Networks
Overall Learning Outcomes
On completion of the course learners will:
- Explain the importance of road traffic systems and their role in shaping our urban world;
- Explain the economic, safety, and environmental benefits and costs of road traffic systems and the management of these systems;
- Explain geometric design principles and the application of these principles to road design;
- Explain traffic management techniques, including the development of traffic signal phasing mechanisms;
- Explain Safe Systems principles and how these are translated into practice in the road traffic system;
- Discuss basic traffic theory principles and statistical methods;
- Discuss future technologies, including infrastructure and vehicle technologies, and their role in the road traffic system.
- A university degree in a related area of study
- A university degree in an unrelated area of study supported by a minimum of one-year work experience in business
- An approved professional or a vocational qualification recognized as a level 6 qualification
- Subject-by subject exemptions will be awarded subject to the submission of relevant and appropriate documentation of previously completed qualifications by the applicants
- Evidence of a minimum of 3 years relevant practical experience at the managerial level which can demonstrate that a positive contribution can be made to the program
- All applicants must be 21 years of age
Executive Diplomas are professional diplomas delivered in a manner that gives you the flexibility to learn at a time and place that suits your personal and work life. You can embark immediately on an Executive Diploma knowing you can fit it into your schedule.
There are 50 Multiple Choice Questions (“MCQ”) for each module. If you start an MCQ session, please remember that it will time-out after 1.5 hours. You have three attempts at the MCQ to achieve a pass mark, which is set at 50%.
Mode A: Fully Taught mode
Available at selected Approved Learning Centers. For each module, we recommend that Approved Learning Centers provide at least 48 hours of face to face lectures and tutorials.
Mode B: Blended Learning mode
Available at selected Approved Learning Centers where classes are held plus learners are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study which can be accessed through our designated Learning Portal.
We recommend that Approved Learning Centers provide between 24and 36 hours of lectures/tutorials and that you spend at least 12 hours learning online.
Mode C: Fully Online mode
Learners are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study which can be accessed through our designated Learning Portal. For each module, we recommend at least 72 hours of online learning.
For the Blended and Fully Taught modes please Contact Us for an Approved Learning Centre near you. Please note we are constantly adding Approved Centers.
Student Learning Time
Executive Diploma should be completed in 6 months.