This diploma program is designed for professionals to pursue a career programming in recreation facilities, parks and the community by promoting and advocating the benefits of active, healthy living through positive recreation and leisure activities.
- Leisure in historical perspective
- Cultural heritage and leisure
- Leisure and recreation: a variety of meanings
- Children’s play: foundation of leisure
- People’s needs and leisure
- Leisure and the experience society
- The ‘leisure principle’
- Government, the public sector and leisure
- Leisure provision in the voluntary sector and Leisure provision in the commercial sector
- Planning for leisure and recreation
- Trends in the leisure industry and Tourism, heritage and leisure
- The environment, countryside and open space
- The arts, museums and libraries
- Sport, physical recreation and physical activities
- Management principles and foundations
- Leadership and decision making
- Marketing of leisure and recreation
- Programming leisure and recreation services and facilities
- Event management
- Staffing and organizational structures
- Leisure and recreation management education and training
Overall Learning Outcomes
On completion of this module learners will be able to:
- Create, plan implement, and evaluate recreation and leisure programs and special events which respond to identified needs and maximize the delivery of the benefits of recreation.
- Apply the principles of marketing to the promotion of the benefits of recreation and leisure programs, special events, services, and facilities.
- Generate revenue for recreation and leisure programs, special events, services and facilities by applying sound business principles.
- Contribute to strategies for effectively managing the performance and development of staff and volunteers in recreation and leisure settings.
- Apply administration skills to recreation and leisure settings.
- Contribute to the safe and effective management of recreation venues.
- Design and implement appropriate research and planning strategies.
- Educate others regarding the value and benefits of recreation, leisure, and lifestyle enhancement.
- Apply community development strategies for advocating and facilitating the personal, social, economic, and environmental benefits of recreation.
- Apply principles of lifespan growth and development to individuals and groups in recreation and leisure settings.
- Apply the concept of inclusion to the design and delivery of recreation and leisure programs, special events, services and facilities.
- Develop plans for ongoing personal and professional growth and development.
Executive Diplomas are professional diplomas delivered in a manner that gives you the flexibility to learn at a time and place that suits your personal and work life. You can embark immediately on an Executive Diploma knowing you can fit it into your schedule.
There are 50 Multiple Choice Questions (“MCQ”) for each module. If you start an MCQ session, please remember that it will time-out after 1.5 hours. You have three attempts at the MCQ to achieve a pass mark, which is set at 50%.
You should show that you will be able to fulfil and benefit from the objectives of the diploma or certificate and be able to achieve the required standards. Although no prior knowledge is required you should normally be at least 16 years old and have the following:
- Level 2 (QCF) Certificate; or
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above; and/or
- Relevant work experience.
Mode A: Fully Taught mode
Available at selected Approved Learning Centers. For each module we recommend that Approved Learning Centers provide at least 48 hours of face to face lectures and tutorials.
Mode B: Blended Learning mode
Available at selected Approved Learning Centers where classes are held plus learners are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study which can be accessed through our designated Learning Portal.
We recommend that Approved Learning Centers provide between 24and 36 hours of lectures/tutorials and that you spend at least 12 hours learning online.
Mode C: Fully Online mode
Learners are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study which can be accessed through our designated Learning Portal. For each module we recommend at least 72 hours of online learning.
For the Blended and Fully Taught modes please Contact Us for an Approved Learning Centre near you. Please note we are constantly adding Approved Centers.
Student Learning Time
Executive Diploma should be completed in 6 months.