This diploma program is designed for professionals to a comprehensive introduction to the theory and application of GIS and remote sensing.
- Geographical Information Systems – Representing Geography
- History and Development of GIS
- GISs Roots in Cartography
- Spatial Data Structure and Models
- The Nature and Source of Geographic Data
- GIS and the Real-World Model
- Basic Data Models in GIS
- Advanced Data Models
- Geographic Query and Analysis
- Selection of a GIS
- The Future of GIS
Overall Learning Outcomes
On completion of this module learners will be able to:
- practice advanced skills in GIS analysis in a variety of areas as well as discuss and interpret more complex spatial information theory and methodologies
- demonstrate an in-depth understanding of vector and raster GIS structures, relational databases, geodatabases, data input, data editing and raster interpolation methods
- practice multispectral image interpretation and analysis through a range of geometric and radiometric enhancement techniques, image arithmetic and data fusion
- extract useful information from remotely sensed data through a range of multispectral transformations, band ratios, and classification methodologies
- demonstrate the practical application and analysis of GIS and remotely sensed data through the implementation of project work.
Executive Diplomas are professional diplomas delivered in a manner that gives you the flexibility to learn at a time and place that suits your personal and work life. You can embark immediately on an Executive Diploma knowing you can fit it into your schedule.
There are 50 Multiple Choice Questions (“MCQ”) for each module. If you start an MCQ session, please remember that it will time-out after 1.5 hours. You have three attempts at the MCQ to achieve a pass mark, which is set at 50%.
You should show that you will be able to fulfil and benefit from the objectives of the diploma or certificate and be able to achieve the required standards. Although no prior knowledge is required you should normally be at least 16 years old and have the following:
- Level 2 (QCF) Certificate; or
- 4 GCSEs at grade C or above; and/or
- Relevant work experience.
Mode A: Fully Taught mode
Available at selected Approved Learning Centers. For each module we recommend that Approved Learning Centers provide at least 48 hours of face to face lectures and tutorials.
Mode B: Blended Learning mode
Available at selected Approved Learning Centers where classes are held plus learners are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study which can be accessed through our designated Learning Portal.
We recommend that Approved Learning Centers provide between 24and 36 hours of lectures/tutorials and that you spend at least 12 hours learning online.
Mode C: Fully Online mode
Learners are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study which can be accessed through our designated Learning Portal. For each module we recommend at least 72 hours of online learning.
For the Blended and Fully Taught modes please Contact Us for an Approved Learning Centre near you. Please note we are constantly adding Approved Centers.
Student Learning Time
Executive Diploma should be completed in 6 months.